Followers

Friday, November 12, 2010

Typography

Today, we learned about typography in class. Typography is what language looks like; it is the art of using letters and words to design a visual display on a page. Web designers, artists, and other people who work with art can specialize in typography to make works of art. This includes any form of words. Obviously, people who specialize in this type of work are sought after by big companies to design displays, because they can make the words pop out of a page or attract the attention of a person seeing it. For example, my attention would be more caught by a large neon board with words that seemed to pop out then, say, a normal advertisement with exactly 14 type font across the paper. Even graffiti, illegal as it is, is still a form of typography- to be honest, some types of graffiti catch my attention more than any billboard.
I think that typography is a large part of any industry or company, since it gives a way for the consumer to see the product easily. Typography can also be used in company logos. Certainly, I appreciate all the typographers in the world who can catch my attention with a well-designed advertisement.

I've also provided an example of a form of typography below. If you scroll all the way down on my blog, you can see an example of a program called 'Spell with Flickr'. It lets you type in anything you want, and then Flickr will spell it out for you. It's a pretty decent program to use, and it's certainly something entertaining. I didn't expect the HTML code to be so long when I copy and pasted the script over, though!

Next, we had to identify #1-16 in This Diagram.
1) Tail                                 9) Stem
2) Spline                             10) Finial
3) Apex                              11) Link/Neck
4) Serif                                12) Loop/Lobe
5) Bowl                               13) Ear
6) Spur                                14) Extender (Ascender)
7) Eye/Counter                    15) Diagonal Stroke or Diagonal Stem, Arm?
8) Extender (Descender)      16) Crossbar

I'm not sure about #3, I couldn't find it anywhere. Even Googling it, the best I could find was a 'vertex', which was because the top of an A is similar to the bottoms of a 'w'. Also, I'm not sure about the orders of #4, #6 and #10.

I've also started working on a cat text image. It's not turning out as well as I'd hoped, but I think it's okay so far. I don't think I'm that good at this typography stuff...

That's the beginning, anyway.
(For the original, see the Devil Cat's original picture below.) 
See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment