Followers

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Death by Powerpoint

Okay...Today, we watched a slideshow called "Death by Powerpoint". Quite a famous topic, but one I disagree with immensely. The "Death by Powerpoint" slideshow also gave tips on how to make a good Powerpoint presentation. I could relate to a few of these tips, especially the one to keep the text short and simple. However, the overall "Death by Powerpoint" thing is something I disagree about. First off, I've never seen someone be bored to death (Though that would immensely interesting). Second, Powerpoints can be a great way to present as long as the presenter is prepared. Finally, some detailed Powerpoints I.E. ones with a lot of text can actually be useful depending on your audience- for example, a board of trustees would rather listen to you speak and read the more interesting points on your Powerpoint, but a classroom of kids would rather be amazed by transition animations and hear you speak the important points in quick sections.
I must agree that some Powerpoints can be utterly horrifying, though. Some Powerpoint presentations I've seen have had way too much text, or text you couldn't even read due to the scintillating or overly colorful backgrounds. Others have had too much text, too little information, or no visuals to back up the data when needed. One Powerpoint I've seen had rock music that drowned out the speaker and had absolutely nothing to help the presentation.
But, I like Powerpoint. I don't think it'll be the death of me at all. Keynote, on the other hand...

No comments:

Post a Comment